Monday, February 24, 2014

WHY A MEXICAN LADY SLAPPED ME ! ! !

Yes, I was just sitting there, listening to the sermon in Spanish in the Cruz de Cristo Lutheran Church in Mahahual and the lady next to me slapped me on the arm. That was a surprise.

Out of concern for me, she had just killed a TABANO on me.  Those critters are NOT to be ignored and common courtesy here is to help each other by keeping them from biting someone next to you, if you can.

They are of at least three colors:  yellow (I find most common), green and black)



 

The sting/itch usually lasts about 15 minutes and for me, after that it doesn't bother me much.  For others, they get a big welt and it lasts for days. The Tabanos come out of the mangroves.  If there is a strong breeze from the ocean, we hardly encounter them.  But the worst is about five o'clock in the afternoon, especially if little wind is blowing or the it comes from the west, out of the mangroves.  You plan your outside parties at noon or early afternoon.


In English, they are referred to as the Tabanid Fly, one of many members of the Horse Fly family.
This photo from Wikipedia shows the biting mouth well.






No comments:

Post a Comment